Translate

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Abundance and Need

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but by how little you need.

Abundance, therefore, is a state of mind. Right now, what I need is a little time and space for my inner light to shine on me.  A little niche, or cleft inside, to focus on the stable, the real, the solid connection with Source.

Visiting Venice was truly an experience. One of the wonders of the world I guess. A city built on stone and brick and wood, slowly being eroded by water, surrounded by canals and lagoon, basically in a river delta that would have silted up had the engineers not tinkered with it over the centuries.  Like an aging dowager with too much rouge and tatty ancient lace, Venice is tired. She still likes a good party, a glass of wine and some carpaccio.  But she will not be here for much longer.  Meanwhile the tourists visit in the millions every year.

It reminded me of the state of the world. Unstable, foundation being eroded by the changeable waters, an island in the sea, floating, sinking, rising according to the tides and floods.

What am I anchored to? where is my foundation? I am an island in the sea.

I have found a deep root, thanks to my teacher. A very solid link to source of peace and stability.  It doesn't pay to forget it.  The soul only drinks from the clear pure water of Source, and is easily tired of flashy, bright baubles, and light conversation.  There is abundance within.  How much do I need?

musemother

1 comment:

the spirit that moves me said...

I love your account of your trip to Venice. "Unstable, foundation being eroded by the changeable waters, an island in the sea, floating, sinking, rising according to the tides and floods." Wonderful description. In many ways, I feel this is our own personal battle as well - against the waters of change, against the distractions that take us away from that source.

I also wanted to thank you. I read about Natalie Goldberg here, when you wrote about your retreat at Kripalu in the fall. Your experience inspired me and I attended a similar retreat there earlier this month. It was truly amazing, and something I will never forget. I wrote about my experience here on my blog, if you would like to read about it: http://thespiritthatmovesme.blogspot.com/2011/05/awakening-wild-mind.html