Translate

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Harnessing the Power of Menstrual Blood

The Globe & Mail in Canada ran a story on the uses of menstrual blood for stem cell research. Click on link below:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080819.wstem19/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

August 19, 2008 at 4:12 AM EDT
A team of researchers from Canada and the United States has taken an important step toward harnessing the healing power of menstrual blood. ...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if scientific research could demonstrate what native americans have known for a very long time, that menstrual blood is full of generative properties, life-giving and life-enhancing. Mixed with water and poured on plants, it apparently feeds their growth.

Instead of being seen through the eyes of superstition and fear as a polluting element, we can begin to study the 'blessings of the curse', as Susan Rako sub-titles her book, No More Periods.

"As yeast is good for dough, so is menstruation good for women." says a Talmudic scholar.

"Menstrual blood is the only source of blood that is not traumatically induced. Yet in modern society, this is the most hidden blood, the one so rarely spoken of and almost never seen, except privately by women, who shut themselves in a little room to quickly and in many cases disgustedly change their pads and tampons, wrapping the bloodied cotton so it won't be seen by others, wrinkling their faces at the odor, flushing or hiding the evidence away. Blood is everywhere, and yet the one, the only, the single name it has not publicly had, for many centuries, is menstrual blood. " Blood, Bread & Roses, How Menstruation created the world, Judy Grahn.

"Several Native American cultures consider women in menses to be at the HEIGHT of her powers. For instance, the Lakota tribe would not permit a menstrual woman anywhere near warriors or healers. They believed that menstrual blood was so powerful that just the presence of such power would weaken the strength of warriors and interfere with a healer's ability to heal. The menstrual blood serves to purify, to cleanse, renew, and it prepares the woman for higher spiritual accomplishments. The Yurok, and Lakota tribes practiced monthly rituals by retreating into MOON lodges with other menstrual women. There they celebrated the power of their menstrual blood.

SO, at the height of my power, through the ebb and flow of life, giving and life-sustaining blood that flows through me, I isolate myself from the mundane petty distractions and instead focus inward. Thus CALLING VISION for MY PEOPLE. Simple. Get it? Indeed I do feel more creative, more artistic, more insightful, and with each monthly cycle I become more in tune with my connection to nature, thus accumulating a greater store of spiritual energy. ERGO, when I menstruate, I don't see it as negative darkness or as a curse. Instead I prefer to view the process in a more positive, healthy attitude: it is a natural, sacred connection to the cycles and rhythms of the earth.

Menstrual blood is LIFE GIVING and LIFE SUSTAINING. There are also native tribes that would return the sacred life-giving blood back to the earth. They would sit over seeds and let the sacred blood flow directly on the seeds or on newly planted seedlings, which INDEED DOES give the seeds growing power. I add here to any who are asking, What? That is sick! NO, NOT sick at all. For an experiment I suggest using INSTEAD menstrual cups to collect the powerful blood into a jar. Fill the remainder of the jar with water then use the solution to water your plants. Be sure to use plain water on other plants for comparing the difference. IT IS AMAZING how powerful menstrual blood is. Of course it is NOT a good idea to disclose this to most people because our current culture has deemed MENSTRUAL BLOOD as disgusting and gross. BELIEVE ME, MY PLANTS are so healthy it is amazing. (taken from www.mum.org)

nameste,
musemother

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved sharing my blood with my roses! They loved it too! I miss my bleeding more than I can say and I don't mind telling anyone and everyone. In ancient times, a brew of menstrual blood was considered the elixir of the Gods. Kings were the only ones allowed to drink it. They couldn't let the common folk in on the powerful mystery! My favorite book is Honoring Menstruation by Lara Owens. Have you read it? Great site!

SuperP. said...

Courageous! I enjoyed this post.

Creative Soulful Woman said...

thanks Penny and Kathleen,
I am happy my meanderings into these areas of women's power resonate with you. These are ancient practices that seem strange to us, but probably the first blood sacrifices were not animal or human killings, but women's menstrual blood. For more info see the Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets.
jenn

Anonymous said...

I love Barbara Walker. Have you read her book on Crones? I did change the ceremonies and rituals I planned for my girls when they began bleeding. I had originally planned them based on my passions. A quick redo and their entering into Womanhood suited them to a T! But they are used to having a crazy mom! I look forward to exploring your writings

Creative Soulful Woman said...

Kathleen
yes I've read Crones. Wanted to do a ceremony for my daughter but she wanted none of it. So I made her a basket of tampons, pads, make-up, earrings, soap, little things she'd need, wrapped it in pink, and kept it for her till the big day. When it came, she was aching, and I think the best gift was my advice to stay home, stay in bed and rest. Permission to take care of her body, and allowing her to welcome with mixed feelings the exit from childhood. I think menopause deserves a celebration and women are ready for that in their mid-forties and 50's. A gift bag, a pin, a poem, a candle....Ms Menopause will have some idea,
jenn

Anonymous said...

I like to give Goddess parties for my friends. Each one is different for the unique individual they are. One was lit with one hundred white candles. Each woman wore her Goddess best, flowing, feminine outfits. I made a special memory box and we each brought a talisman that represented the Goddess of Honor to us. A sacred ceremony as we each shared our heart filled prayers and feelings about said honoree was followed by Wine, Laughter and Joyful Dancing! Not to mention the chocolate!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I had to change the ceremony for mine too. I had planned an evening at the hermitage with the grandmothers, godmothers, and assorted friends and aunts. Drumming, chanting, fires and all. But I realized this was "my" vision not theirs. I had planned this for so long and was so invested in "my ceremony" it took me awhile to readjust. Good thing my eldest didn't begin to bleed until she was a sophomore. Instead we had a "Woman's" day at a local spa. Her first visit. We had side by side massages, facials, manicures and pedicures. Her father met us for lunch at our favorite French restaurant, "Adults Only". We had champagne and escargot. We presented her with tiny diamond studs I had bought ten years before. After lunch she and I went to have her ears pierced! She was a little leery about "celebrating" her period but all in all it was a great day and one she will remember. (I hope!)