Translate

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Putting it off

I'm putting it off again. Even though the pain in my neck and right shoulder, the numbness in my left arm should be a strong hint.

I'm putting off taking care of me. My 'things to do list' is so important, it takes precedence over lunch, naps, filing my chipped nails, and walking the dog.

There's a driver inside of me, cracking the whip. Poor horsie, never runs fast enough.

Poor body, poor wee soul inside, shrinking from the sight of that whip, that taskmaster.

Grinding my teeth at night, and then I wake up with a sore jaw. Wondering, where is the release button? could I just please find it and press, so everything would relax?

I don't have a boss, it's unpaid labour I'm doing, mostly volunteer work, singing in a Christmas concert, organizing a women's circle, practising with my quartet, handling volunteer requests from two cities, lots of emails and phone calls and ....

somewhere, in the middle of all that busy-ness, I am become more concentrated on doing, and lose the being.

Sore shoulders stopped me once before - lead me off to acupunture treatments, physiotherapy, osteopathy, whatever would 'fix it'. At the time, I was walking two big dogs every day, and re-injuring my shoulder each time. Finally, the acupuncturist suggested I find someone else to walk the dogs, since the shoulder wasn't healing.

Duh!

Too much computer time, too eager to respond right away to all those important emails....leads to the sore neck, stiff shoulder syndrome.

I'm going to get off the computer right now, right after I check my emails again.....

have a great end of November post full-moon day,
jenn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! When we don't give ourselves enough rest and nurturing and we bring our bodies whole selves to the brink of breakdown, often our health has to do it for us. It says, "Stop, already!"

Anonymous said...

Yes, all these things fascinate me too. Feeling at 51 that I am no longer interested in self expression?
Anyway, found you today and I must agree I prefer Stephen Mitchell's Tao as well. (Like a first kiss.)

Diane O'Connor said...

Wow, I have the sore neck stiff shoulder syndrome thing, too. Right side mostly.

Diane